Saturday, May 28, 2011

Downtown Columbia ~

I took a truckload of junk down to my booth at Worth Repeating and took the opportunity to go to the state house.  I have lived here for 20 years and had never stepped on the grounds. Usually every school age kid takes a trip to the state house, but I was in elementary school, and middle school in Michigan. My high school years were in Florida.  I went to the University of South Carolina, which is downtown, but still never took the time.  I love downtown Columbia and the history of the state including when the firebug William Tecumseh Sherman burned the state capital in 1865 on his way North. 

It was a gorgeous day, but very hot and humid


each bronze star represents a connon shot. there are six of them



copper dome




magnolia flower. the gardens are beautiful

cone flowers





hydrangea bushes









the confederate flag that was finally removed from the dome



My next stop was the best ever. Mast General Store!
The grand opening was Thursday and it has been packed with people every day.  I hope this store can bring more business to downtown. It deserves better than what is there now. That will have to wait until tomorrow though. Go enjoy the day!

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment