Monday, May 16, 2011

Weekend in Review ~

It was a busy weekend in this junkers life.  I cleaned out a bunch of 'junk' to sell at a yardsale next weekend. Things that don't make the cut to sell at my booths.  Things I thought I couldn't part with, I wouldn't want to become a hoarder. NO COMMENTS FAMILY! So out they go. Trying to get better at not keeping everything that I might need 'some day.'  I'm sick of stubing my toes on 'junk' in the hallway, living room or kitchen.  It's time for it all to get out of my house. So in pursuit of this, this is what I painted..

Do you love my work station? This is my second garbage can work bench.  I do have an old countertop that I put on top of it for bigger pieces.  But this works great. I have no room in the garage, so my driveway is my work area.





Don't stress out getting it all ready. I don't. I clean it and prime it. I don't usually sand anything, since I like the distressed look.  I use spray primer since it dries quickly, and within 10 minutes it's ready to paint.



I painted it with my favorite spray paint. Heirloom White by RustOleum.  And did the feet a dark walnut. I was out of the ORB! NOOOO! I survived though and the walnut color looked nice too. I distressed the crap of it and then had to fix it when the wind blew it off my garbage can!  I had to re-glue the top and one of the legs. But alas, it is done and in the shop already. 

As a rule, I don't paint things that are in great shape. I buy things with messed up veneer or other damage, then I don't feel bad about painting them. 


This next piece was a hall tree that was so gross I took it outside and hosed it down.  The dirt on it was awful and it smelled like smoke.  The dirt was so thick it was chunky.  Hope you ate already!  Anyway, hosing it down was the only option. The sun dried the wood quickly, so warping or other damage wouldn't be an issue. 




Resting on a pile of garbage. Classy! But it was windy, and I couldn't risk it being blown over. I didn't need another headache with a broken mirror. 




Again, I used Heirloom White and the Dark Walnut for the books. A little distressing and it was done!  Good thing too, since it was one of the hottest days in May so far.  I even got a little sunburn..

I prepped a few other pieces too, but didn't have time to paint them. I'll do those this week.  My neighbors just love me with all my projects that occupy my driveway in the summer. But until I get the garage cleaned out, this is my work area.  Here is a little peak at the mess..



Yup, it's a mess. But I'm working on it. One piece at at time!

~Amy

1 comment:

  1. Love the pieces, the table has a beautiful shape and the hall tree is awesome. OMG you weren't lying about your garage, glad you are making progress. Who knows what you might find in there like stuff you had forgotten you had!

    ReplyDelete