Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My favorite Flea Market find, EVER ~

About 6 months ago while at a flea market, I found my favorite thing EVER!  I walked up on this table and had a hard time containing my excitement. I don't think the lady had any idea what she had.
There were 3 of them on the table and she only wanted $19 for all of them. What was it you ask?

Swedish Dala Horses!

I didn't even haggle. I just handed her the money, wrapped them up, and RAN!  I didn't want her to change her mind or suddenly realize that she had made a huge mistake. 

The smaller orange horse is the oldest. The orange paint is a little darker and duller than the big horse. This is one way to tell the age of the horse. The newer ones are shinier and more crisply painted.

They all sit on top of my primitive bookcase that holds of ton of my goodies.

The blue one has a small boo on his head, but that's ok. He's home now and can rest.


My Mom gave me this horse a few years ago for Christmas.


Swedish Dala Horses were carved for children, as toys, during the long winters in Sweden. The art of carving and painting the small horses quickly flourished in the 19th century.  Dala horses were traded for household goods, during tough times, and their carving and painting blossomed into a full-fledged cottage industry. The rural families depended on horse production to help keep food on the table, as the skills of horse carving and painting were passed on from generation to generation.[wikipedia]
  My Great Grandparents, Helga and Joe, came from Sweden and I have loved everything Swedish for years.  Aren't they great? Ja det är! (yes, they are!)

Don't be jealous, but I can count to 10 in Swedish too!

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment