Thursday, July 21, 2011

Paint FAIL ~

Recently, I had a major paint FAIL! I painted a china hutch with a primer/paint from Behr. It was an oops paint that I thought I would try. Oops paint is a great way to try new colors and types of paint. 

Bottom portion of hutch, looks good in pictures, but it needs help..

Well, it went all kinds of wrong. First of all, it was only quart size. Not a gallon.  So right there it wasn't enough for this piece. But I painted it anyway. Secondly, the coverage was terrible. I don't think I mixed it well enough, and it needed a second coat, but I didn't have enough paint to do a second coat.  At this point, I just thought I could distress the hutch and put a glaze on it and it would be fine.   


Well, when I distressed the top of the hutch, the paint lifted up and I pulled it-----RIGHT OFF! There was a huge chunk of paint missing. Oh crap. Not happy about that at all. I hate issues, and the 100 degree heat doesn't help any. It makes everything worse, especially my mood!



One of the doors bubbled and peeled also. No bueno!

Tonight, I spent 3 hours re-painting it with OOPS paint I bought. The same French Grey I painted the previous bookcase.  I am still not finished with it, but at least it has 2 coats of paint on it and it is looking good. 


Love my Purdy paint brush. I never thought a brush would make a difference in how a piece looked after being painted. But these brushes make the paint look like silk.  They make the brush strokes disappear.  Anyway, here are a few after pictures, even though it is dark in the warehouse and you can't really tell the color difference. It looks great.




I'll finish this in the morning and take pictures to show the finished product...

Until then, here is a sneak peak at my next project...

I'll tell you the story behind this later.....

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment